Before you can decide how many solar panels your residential or commercial property will need, you will first need to clarify your energy goals. If your priority to save as much money as possible? Reduce your carbon footprint? Maximize your return on investment? Once you have figured this part out, you will need to determine the following:
- How much energy your household uses
- The usable surface area of your roof
- The climate and peak sunlight in your geographical area
- The wattage and efficiency of the PV technology of your panels
- Whether net metering is available
It is a good idea to contact a professional New Jersey solar installer to help you answer these questions. Sea Bright Solar is happy to offer free hour-long solar analyses to help home and business owners determine their energy needs.
Call (732) 253-4052 to schedule your free consultation.
Here are some of the things our solar installation professionals will consider when determining how many panels your property requires:
- How many hours of sunlight are expected in the area? The peak sunlight hours for your particular location will directly impact the amount of energy your system can be expected to produce. For instance, if you live in a sunny city like Phoenix, you will need less panels than someone who lives in Seattle.
- What are your energy requirements? Look through your past energy bills to determine how many kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy you use in an average day. If your bill doesn’t show a daily average, you can divide the monthly or annual average by 30 or 365 days, respectively.
- What is your target daily average? Solar panels don’t always operate at maximum efficiency. Weather conditions can temporarily reduce a system’s efficiency, for example. It is recommended to add a 25% cushion to your daily energy target in order to offset any inefficiencies.
- How many panels will provide the target hourly wattage? You will need to divide your home’s hourly energy requirement by the wattage of your solar panels in order to accurately determine how many panels your home or business will require.
The physical arrangement of the panels is also an important consideration to get the most from your panels. Your installer can analyze your roof to determine the most effective placement.
Ready to get started? Contact Sea Bright Solar today to schedule your free consultation with a New Jersey solar panel installation specialist.