More and more Americans are discovering the truth about solar energy, which is that it saves money and the planet. Unfortunately, there are many myths which still remain that many people consider fact.
The following are the most common myths about solar energy:
- Myth: Solar panels do not work well in cold climates. Fact: Most solar panels actually work very well in cold, sunny conditions. Cold temperatures help increase conductivity, which makes electricity flow more effectively. Higher temperatures actually can reduce the panels’ efficiency, since they produce less power when they get hotter.
- Myth: Solar panels do not work well in cloudy or snowy conditions. Fact: While cloudy and snowy weather can reduce the amount of energy produced by solar panels, they can still work effectively in these conditions. Rain can help clear debris from panels. In snowy climates, solar panels are installed at an angle in order for accumulated snow to slide off the panel.
- Myth: I won’t live in my house long enough to make my investment in solar back. Fact: Solar panels can pay for themselves within six to 15 years. Combined with the best state and tax credits and incentives, you could start seeing an ROI within two to four years. Furthermore, solar panels also increase the resale value of homes by an average of $15,000.
- Myth: Solar panel technology is constantly improving, so I should wait to purchase or install. Fact: While it is true that companies are always working on improvements to make solar panels more efficient, the current technology is well established. The truth is that we’ve been using the same solar technology for nearly five decades. So it is in your best interest to invest now instead of waiting for something drastically better down the line.
- Myth: Only some states offer financial incentives for installing solar panels. Fact: Nearly every state throughout the country has some form of incentive to solar energy. Additionally, the federal government is currently offering a 30% tax credit for solar energy systems installed before the end of 2019, so act fast!
- Myth: Solar panels require constant maintenance. Fact: Solar panels typically require minimal maintenance due to their durability. However, we recommend an annual inspection to ensure that the panels and the overall system are performing at peak efficiency. Many companies, including Sea Bright Solar, offer warranties for the life of the system.
If you are interested in home solar installation in New Jersey or New York, contact Sea Bright Solar and schedule an appointment with us today.